Effective Legal Counsel In A Wide Range Of Family Law Matters
At Ritchie, Soper & Schutt, LLC, we use our 60 years of combined experience, and a sophisticated team approach, to handle even the most complex family law cases. This gives us an edge in high-stakes matters, including division of multimillion-dollar estates or large family businesses, as well as high-conflict custody battles.
Our family law attorneys are also well-equipped to handle routine matters for clients in St. Joseph, Liberty, Columbia and the surrounding areas. Because we work closely with our clients, we are able to tailor our approach to their personal needs. This is true for a wide range of issues such as:
- Divorce: We represent couples throughout Missouri and Kansas whose marital situation has led to a need for divorce.
- Child custody and visitation: We represent mothers, fathers, grandparents and other family members in matters related to child custody and visitation in Missouri and Kansas.
- Child support: Determination of child support can be more difficult than imagined, especially in situations where parents own a business or derive income from nontraditional sources.
- Division of property in a divorce: This can be an area of contention in divorce planning. Our law firm handles even the most complex property division issues, including division of businesses and farming operations.
- Spousal maintenance: Maintenance payments (formerly called alimony) help ensure that the financial burden of divorce is not borne unequally. We will help you reach an agreement that is fair to both parties.
- Alternatives to divorce: We understand that some clients are seeking solutions other than divorce. Our attorneys and staff are sensitive to the issues.
- Paternity: When a child is born out of wedlock, the parent’s rights and responsibilities need to be established. These include custody, visitation and support — all of which will have a significant and lasting impact on the child’s future.
- Modification of existing court orders: As family needs change, existing court orders sometimes must be changed as well. Missouri courts understand this. They have processes in place for modification and enforcement of existing court orders. With your lawyer’s help, you may be able to change an existing court order to better suit your needs.
- Custody and child support modifications: We can also help with modification of existing court orders when your family’s needs or circumstances change.
- Guardianships: When a guardianship must be established — for example, to give grandparents legal custody of their grandchildren — we can shepherd your family through the legal process.
- Adoptions: We handle stepparent adoptions, help terminate the rights of one or both natural parents, or defend the rights of birth parents who want to contest the adoption of their child.
- Post-trial motions: If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of a family law matter, it may be necessary to quickly file a post-trial motion to remedy a potential problem.
- Appeals: Unfortunately, not every family law matter results in a positive outcome the first time around. If you are unsatisfied with the results you received, you should know that you have options. Filing a post-trial motion or appeal may help you achieve the results you seek.
Let Us Review Your Legal Needs
Contact Ritchie, Soper & Schutt, LLC, at our St. Joseph location by calling 816-387-8200; our Liberty location by calling 816-792-5100; our Columbia location by calling 573-442-6633; or call us toll free at 888-345-4LAW (4529). You may also complete our online contact form to schedule a confidential consultation with an attorney.